Tuesday, 23 April 2013

First Shoot

I booked out a Nikon D600 for a week from the 4th March to test filming and to think about the composition of the objects etc when I get to film on a D800. I used a 50mm fixed lens just to experiment.

I filmed mostly objects in my house just to start, as most of the things to be filmed are objects in my house.

As there is very little movement in these shots, I will post screencaps to illustrate composition etc.


This is one of the first shots I completed. I left the ornament in it's original location upon a shelf in my bedroom. I tried different compositions for this shot using a tripod and the 50mm lens, but I feel that this one is the best. I shot this from straight on with a low f number to create a shallow depth of field. However, I feel that I needed to eliminate some of the background as it is cluttered and dominating, so a macro lens will be required when reshooting.
These are the other compositions of the shot. I don't like them as they are not as close in on the ornament and have too much background detail, meaning that I will use a macro lens.



I really like the composition of this shot as I like the depth of field that shooting on an angle brings to the shot. The focus on the framed portrait hold the attention of the viewer, but including the matlepiece and the other objects on the mantlepiece give a sense of context. The inclusion of the clock subtlely denotes the passing of time, something I didn't think of when making the shot. I also used this portrait instead of other ones we have, as Pie was very proud of his background in the Navy. This shot was taken on one of his last Remembrance Sunday parades, which is why he is wearing his medals and a poppy. I also feel that it reflects part of who he was. 
I also shot some footage from this angle, but I don't like it as the composition isn't interesting. I prefer the other composition as it is more interesting and gives context to the placement of the framed image.


I like this shot of the ship in the bottle due to the focus and depth of field. However, it bothers me that only the sails of the ship are visible. I also don't really like the background of the shot, so this will be reshot with the D800. I may play around with the tripod position in order to capture more of the ship inside the bottle.
I also shot these two compositions. I don't like them as there is too much glare on the bottle and too much background detail that I find distracting.  


I like this shot of a postcard, especially the focus on the words "Love, Pie", as I feel this is the most important detail of the object. However, I don't like the inclusion of the table edge in the shot, or the fact that my address is visible, despite it being shot with a low f number. This will be reshot with a macro lens in order to only display the most neccesary parts of the postcard.
I also shot this composition which focused on Pie's handwriting addressing myself and our dog Monty (who was put to sleep three weeks after Pie died). Again, the table edge and my address are in view, and I feel that the words "Love, Pie" are the most important part. 


This shot is of Pie's bench that used to be in his back garden. I used a shallow depth of field to focus on the bench, however, I don't like that it is focused on the farther end of the bench and the bin. 
I also shot this of our own bench in the garden as it has a nice background featuring the flowerbeds. However, I feel that to be true to context, I should film the original bench where it is in the garden against the wall. However, its placement against the wall is no reflection on the tone of the film.


This shot features a birdbath that used to be in Pie's garden. I shot it from straight on with it central to the composition. However, I'd like a greater depth of field and will reshoot this differently. 


No comments:

Post a Comment