Monday, 29 April 2013

Recording Narrative Audio

I recorded my narrative audio at my boyfriend's house before I started editing my film as I felt the duration of the audio dictated the length of the film. My boyfriend is a musician and a music student at uni, and has all the necessary equipment for me to record audio. I would have used a Tascam, however, the media centre was not allowing equipment to be booked out over the two week Easter holiday.

He set up a microphone on a stand in his doorway which is the best place in his room to get a clear audio on dialogue without interference (computer activity noise, etc), and linked it to his laptop, where he would record in Logic. We put my narrative and storyboard on his tablet so I could read out my narrative.

We first tried recording it all in one take, which didn't really work out due to me stumbling over words or in some cases getting a bit upset, so he ended up piecing that together into one long track. We then re-recorded it, but this time reading from the storyboard and recording it in small parts as it is presented in the storyboard (e.g., "The name Pie came from a misspelling of “Grampy” and it stuck. Even seeing it spelt correctly with a “y” after all these years looks weird and wrong."  in one go, all as separate files). I felt that this way would be easier to edit in Premiere, as I wouldn't have to time the film to the length of the whole big track, or cut it up into smaller pieces.

When we were finished, we saved the files onto a memory stick for me to save to my laptop. I like the clear audio, there is no hissing or background noise, and it was easy to use as I was editing my film.

No comments:

Post a Comment