First, I copied the chosen clips of footage into a folder together. I then listened to my various atmospheric recordings to find the ones that had the longest, clearest parts of audio without background interference (e.g., garden noise without planes or traffic, sea noise without wind, etc) and moved them into a file at the same destination as the visual recordings. I also moved the narrative recordings into a folder at the same destination so that when I had to import audio and visuals into Premiere, they were all in the same location and therefore easier to find in the media browser.
I created and labelled the bins in the project window accordingly (sequence, titles, atmospheric audio, narrative audio, and moving image) before importing the content from the media browser to their correct bin.
As I had my storyboard with the narrative of the film already planned, all I had to do was cut the footage in the source window. I firstly listened to the narrative audio recordings to see how long they were, and added a few seconds on to that time so that the clips would be longer before the narrative dialogue came in. I did the same to the audio recordings - listening through to find good sections of audio with no background interference, added a few more seconds onto that time, and then cut that section of audio before inserting it into the timeline. With the visuals, I watched the whole clip to see where the best part to include in the film was, and then went about cutting it to be longer than the narrative dialogue.
Cutting both visuals and audio is done in the source window. To cut, I would insert markers to the media to suggest the length and content of the media, before using the "mark in" and "mark out" buttons to enclose the length of the media. I then inserted it into timeline by scrubbing the playhead to the required section on the timeline before using the "insert" button in the source window.
The green pentagons are the markers to indicate where to mark in and out, the brackets show where the clip has been marked in "{" and out "}" and the blue higlighted section shows how much of this overall clip will be in the timeline.
Once the video clips were in the timeline, I had to seperate the audio recorded camera. This is quite easy. To do this, I right clicked on the clip in the timeline...
... and selected "unlink"...
... which seperates the video and its audio...
... leaving the camera audio free to be deleted.
When it came to layering the atmospheric and narrative audio, I utilised the different "channels" (so I call them, e.g., audio 1, audio 2, etc) I placed atmospheric audio in audio 1, and narrative audio in audio 2 (as seen below).
In terms of what "feel" I wanted, I wanted for pretty much each shot to have part of the atmospheric audio and footage alone to build an atmosphere before beginning the narrative audio (as seen in the printscreen above) and to pace the film. However, I feel like in my first cut, I need to pace it a bit more slowly, so I will make the appropriate changes. I am showing my first cut to Liz tomorrow and will get her feedback then on my first cut.






No comments:
Post a Comment