Monday, 15 April 2013

Proposal


 For this unit of work, I would like to explore the ideas of grief and loss through photography.

On the 11th February 2012, my granddad passed away after a battle with lung cancer. Needless to say, it impacted my family greatly and is still something that we are all struggling to deal with a year later. Three weeks after my granddad's death, my dog had to be put to sleep unexpectedly, which devastated our family even further. I am still dealing with my feelings of grief and my outlook on the overall situation, and feel that exploring this using photography could be therapeutic for me.

I will initially focus on myself and my grief, and may extend the project out to other friends and family members. I am considering basing it around places or objects where we share special memories with our loved ones, but this is an initial idea and throughout the course of the project is subject to change.

I would like to shoot this project on medium format film, as I enjoy working with film and the personality it gives to images. I may also consider using moving image too. If I do this, I would like to use a Nikon D800, as I liked the moving image capabilities when I used it previously.

I will research artists that have dealt with death and grief, as well as film-makers and moving image makers who have explored similar themes.

I aim to explore loss and grief throughout this project, and use it as a form of therapy and hopefully a way to find closure.    

No comments:

Post a Comment