After writing my narrative, I used it to come up with a storyboard so that editing my film would be easier. I tried to match up the dialogue with images that related to the narrative, either in a subtle way or a more obvious way.
The storyboard can be viewed here.
The opening shot of the framed portrait is a good opening shot that establishes what the film will be about. I used this as the opening shot as it fits with the beginning couple of sentences. The atmospheric audio of a ticking clock signifies the passing of time and particularly ties in with the line "seeing it spelled with a 'y' after all these years looks weird and wrong".
I paired the shot of the dolphin ornament with dialogue about myself and Pie, as he bought me the ornament because it looked like me. This is quite a subtle pairing for anyone who does not know this. This shot will be paired with the atmospheric audio of the sea at Clevedon to match the dolphin and sea-inspired ornament.
The shot of the birdbath I paired with dialogue about being in the garden and art, due to the green garden setting, and also because the shallow depth of field evokes a watercolour painting, which links to the content of the dialogue about the art we used to do together. The audio for this will be atmospheric audio of the back garden.
The next shot of the garden bench is matched with dialogue about him building my dollhouse. This narrative section is paired with this subtly because he refurbished that bench. The audio will be atmospheric garden noise that will continue on from the previous shot.
The short sentence "That sense of humour didn't diminish even when you were ill" will be paired with a black screen and no other audio. I feel that this signifies it to be a changing point in the narrative, this is the mid point of the film, and as Liz suggested, the middle of a film usually features a realisation or event, but for me it may be a location. This is then followed up by a shot of Clevedon pier - the location that features in the mid point of the narrative. The dialogue that features here directly refers to our day out at Clevedon and features atmospheric audio of the sea at Clevedon.
The following shot follows the thread of dialogue of the day out at Clevedon. The dialogue about Pie's humour about coffee is explicitly matched with the footage of the cup of coffee, and the atmospheric audio of making a cup of coffee.
Another short sentence is paired with a black screen and no atmospheric audio - "There are insignificant things that remind me of you. These small things keep you near to me even though you are gone". This also signifies a changing point in the narrative of after his death, and leads the film towards its conclusion.
The dialogue "The glitter of sweet wrappers, the ones that you liked" is matched with the image of the bowl of Werther's Originals, and "and ones that we'd play for with Gran over a game of Bingo" is alongside the shot of the Cadbury Eclairs on the tabletop. This is an obvious link between image and audio. No atmospheric audio goes with either shot.
"The smell of the box that held our favourite board game" is again an obvious pairing with the footage of the board game and counters. The atmospheric audio will be the rattling of the dice in its shaker, the roll of the dice, and the moving of the counters on the board.
I paired the line "It always gets worse before it gets better" with the boat, as it has connotations of death, moving on, and change. It also reminds me of an analogy of death, that it's a boat moving away and people are sad, but at the end of the journey when it reaches its destination it's a new beginning. This shot will be accompanied by the atmospheric audio of the waves at Clevedon.
The postcard as my last shot has always been something that I wanted as I feel it is a good closing shot and concludes the film well. The focus on the words "Love, Pie" are a sentiment to our relationship. This especially fits well with my closing line "I think it's getting better now". Together, it demonstrates that I am feeling better about my loss, but that I have fond memories and will always cherish his love for me. There will be no atmospheric audio in this shot as I feel it would conclude better without any.
I'd like to use "Farewell Aragog" by Nicholas Hooper in the credits as this song has special meaning to me in relation to Pie. I listened to this a lot after he died, and I feel that it evokes feelings of mourning, but is also uplifting, linking in to the final shot and its narrative audio.
No comments:
Post a Comment