Sunday, 28 April 2013

Narrative

I wrote my narrative in less than an hour. I thought about what I was going to write as I was writing it, and tried to create a linear narrative structure of a beginning, middle and end. I also thought about the footage I had while writing it, and afterwards used it to create a storyboard.


The name Pie came from a misspelling of “Grampy” and it stuck. Even seeing it spelt correctly with a “y” after all these years looks weird and wrong.

I only had one granddad when I was growing up. You made up for that. You would play with me under the kitchen table when I got shy. We would make bamboo and string into bows and arrows and see who could shoot the longest distance in the garden. We would make a lot of art with watercolours and plasticine. When you made my dollhouse, you even rolled up brown plasticine and put it in the toilet. You had a great sense of humour and had a laugh like the pilot from Flight of the Navigator.

That sense of humour didn't diminish even when you were ill. We went out to Clevedon for the day to sit and get some sea air and look at the view. I brought my camera that you had bought for me a few months previously. We went across the road to a tea shop for a drink. Dad ordered tea as always, me and mum ordered lattes, and you ordered a latte too. I think that you thought ordering a latte sounded posh.

There are insignificant things that remind me of you. These small things keep you near to me even though you are gone. The glitter of sweet wrappers, ones that you liked, and ones that we'd play for with Gran over a game of Bingo. The smell of the box that held our favourite board game.

It always gets worse before it gets better. I feel like it's getting better now.  

I wrote it in first person as I believe this voice fits in with the other personal content of the film. I also wrote it as if I were speaking to Pie by using words like "we" and "you" that are direct. I tried to be vague in a sense, and not to write a biography so to speak. 

It was quite emotional to write, and I tried to capture a sense of who he was as a person and who he was as a grandparent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment