Saturday, 20 April 2013

One to One #1

In my second meeting with Liz, a one to one, we discussed my project more.

I had decided to do a film instead of still images, as I would like to get into filmmaking, and I believe a moving image piece would lend itself to the topic quite well. I decided to follow through on the concept of filming places and objects with resonance in relation to my granddad.

Liz stated that usually being open gets a good response from your audience, as they appreciate your honesty. She also said that the power of the piece will make it strong and original, however, if I were to feel that I couldn't complete this project for whatever reason, I should come up with a plan B.

We discussed the possibility of a audio narrative over the top of the visuals, as we felt it needed to be more than just visuals in order to give the piece power. It needed to be about expressing how I felt, and didn't necessarily need to be lines lifted from poems, etc. The narrative should be personal. We also discussed the possibility of interviewing family members, although I don't really feel comfortable doing it.

We also discussed more atmospheric audio at the locations and when filming the objects. We decided that I would need to use a Tascam to get a good audio recording as the microphone in the camera gives off a hiss. We also thought about perhaps having a juxtaposition between the audio and visuals - for example, a scene at an empty beach with the sound of a packed beach, and that juxtaposition between emptiness and the sounds of enjoyment.

I was advised to look at the works of Margaret Tate, Lux Online, Leonie Hampton, and Tacita Dean.

In terms of general advice, we spoke abou not giving the audience what they might expect, and to not make the film "obvious". I was advised to start writing in order to form a narrative, such as what I feel and remember. I was also advised to visit the landscapes I wanted to feature and note down what I remember and feel, as it will trigger memories.

I was also asked the question "Is it about your granddad or you?" to which I answered "Me". This film will feature my memories, places and objects that are important to me, so there is no need to film or research things that were a part of his life before I was born, or things that didn't concern me.

No comments:

Post a Comment